Monday, June 13, 2011

Aipac, anti-Oslo, pro-Likud

I've made the point before that no matter what they lead people to believe Aipac is a pro-Likud lobby. You don't have to take my word for it. It's what long-time Aipac people say themselves. This time its former Aipacnik Keith Weissman. My friend at beyondzerosum runs down Weissman's interview with PBS's Frontline. Here's a quick look:
So Rabin is shot. I mean, he won Oslo in the Knesset by one vote! You could imagine that in America there was similar opposition [to Oslo]…. AIPAC had spent the last 15 years helping the Likud, so you’ve got people there that were sucking at the teat of Likud, that was how they viewed things. That’s why so many people left AIPAC. A lot of them went to join ZOA and a lot of them also contributed to the work of Daniel Pipes. When Rabin came in, they had taken their money and left, and there was a lot of turmoil. At the time, I remember, they’d send me around the country, to fundraisers, with a lot of older people, and I would be yelled and screamed at, ‘I can’t believe you’re doing this!’ Donors were leaving, taking the money, and that’s really their bread and butter, the lay leadership. AIPAC’s donors were very active in the organization. Very. They were major elements in making policy, in determining the agenda, who the leadership was.
Clear enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment